Are you the birth relative of someone who was adopted as a child and want advice and support to try and make contact with them?
Please get in touch with our dedicated teams if you have any enquiry or if you would like to find out more about our Adoption Services. Please note that at present we are experiencing a high volume of enquiries, but we will aim to respond to your enquiry within 2 working days.
For information about our Adoption Support Services, contact our Adoption Support Service at:
Contact our Support Group team at:
All Other Enquiries
For all other enquiries, please contact us at:
Birth Relative of an Adopted Person
- Are you the birth relative of someone who was adopted as a child?
- Are you aged 18 years or over?
- Would you like support to try and contact them?
- Would you like to know more about your rights under the Adoption and Children Act 2002 and the Adoption Information and Intermediary Services Regulations 2005?
- We can try and identify which agency holds your birth relative’s adoption records and obtain information via that agency which may enable us to trace your birth relative.
- We can offer a limited tracing service.
- We can provide an intermediary service by making the initial contact with your birth relative on your behalf; helping facilitate an exchange of information and photographs and then offering practical and emotional support to develop that contact, possibly into a face-to-face reunion, should this be what both parties want.
- We can continue to provide support, if required, to help you with the consequences of a reunion.
- We can also act as an Intermediary for non-related adults who played an important role in the life of the child who was adopted after 30 December 2005 (for example, a foster carer).
- We can signpost you to other support services if necessary.
- We are unable to pass on any identifying information about the adopted person to you (including their adoptive name).
- Sometimes an adopted person does not want to be contacted by birth relatives.
If your life has been touched by adoption and you live in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, you can access support from us. We can help if you or your child were adopted, or if you are a birth relative of an adopted child/adult. Please contact us on 01480 379679 or email us at AdoptionandSGO.SupportDuty@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.
Letterbox contact is a formal arrangement for Birth Relatives and Adoptive Families to share information. This is a confidential service. If you have any questions or queries about initiating or existing Letterbox arrangements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if your child is from Cambridgeshire; or if your child is from Peterborough, please contact Peterborough.Postbox@cambridgeshire.gov.uk