Birth relative of an adopted person
- Are you the birth relative of someone who was adopted as a child and is now over the age of 18?
- Are you aged 18 years or over?
- Would you like support to try and make contact with them?
- Would you like to know more about your rights under the Adoption and Children Act 2002 and the Adoption Information and Intermediary Services Regulations 2005?
- We can try and identify which agency holds your birth relative’s adoption records and obtain information via that agency which may enable us to trace your birth relative.
- We can offer a limited tracing service.
- We are unable to pass on any identifying information about the adopted person to you (including their adoptive name).
- We can provide an intermediary service by making the initial contact with your birth relative on your behalf; helping facilitate an exchange of information and photographs and then offering practical and emotional support to develop that contact, possibly into a face to face reunion, should this be what both parties want.
- We can continue to provide support, if required, to help you with the consequences of a reunion.
- Sometimes an adopted person does not want to be contacted by birth relatives.
- We can also act as an Intermediary for non-related adults who played an important role in the life of the child who was adopted after 30 December 2005 (for example, a foster carer).
- We can signpost you to other support services if necessary.
If your life has been touched by adoption and you live in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, you can access support from us. We can help if you or your child were adopted or if you are birth relative of an adopted child/adult. Please contact us on 01480 379679 or email us at AdoptionandSGO.SupportDuty@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.
Letterbox contact is a formal arrangement for birth relatives and adoptive families to share information. This is a confidential service. If you have any questions or queries about initiating or existing Letterbox arrangements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if your child is from Cambridgeshire or email@example.com and Heather.Maxwell@peterborough.gov.uk if you child is from Peterborough.